How Much Does a New Jersey Speeding Ticket Cost?
You are bound to get a traffic ticket at some point in your life, regardless of how vigilant you are behind the wheel. Speeding tickets are the most common. But the cost of the ticket is not the only penalty may you face after a conviction. Any traffic ticket will result in points on your driving record which will ultimately result in a significant increase in your insurance premium. As such, it is important to contact an experienced New Jersey traffic ticket attorney to fight the ticket and avoid it altogether.
Different Costs Associated with a NJ Speeding Ticket
Below is a list of the different costs associated with a speeding ticket in the State of New Jersey:
- Fines. A New Jersey speeding ticket can cost you anywhere between $85 and $260, depending on how fast you were driving above the posted speed limit.
|Speed Over Limit||Fine||Points|
- Court Costs. If you challenge your speeding ticket in court, you will have to pay a fee of $34.
- Surcharges. If you are convicted of 6 or more points worth of speeding tickets in New Jersey withing a 3-year time frame, you will have to pay a surcharge. This is an additional fee on top of the fine associated with your speeding ticket. The surcharge costs $150 plus $25 for each point over 6.
- Points. The number of points you get a speeding ticket will depend on how fast you were driving. The chart above gives a summary of the point system associated with a New Jersey speeding ticket.
- Car Insurance Premium Increase. If you are convicted of your speeding ticket, the offense will appear on your New Jersey driving record and will invariably be noted by your auto insurance company. This will most definitely result in an increase in your premium rate.
Call a New Jersey Driver’s Traffic Ticket Attorney Today
If you or someone you know has gotten a ticket and wants to avoid a conviction, an experienced attorney can help. Fighting traffic violation tickets are especially important if you are a CDL license holder.